Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Time and the Living's Easy

After a few relaxing weeks of summer, I'm back in school mode! I started thinking about all the running clubs and physical activity I push for at Maury. So, after running the DC Challenge with the specials teachers (plus Ms. Nesper) and a 10K with loads of Maury family members. It's more accurate to say that I survived rather than ran the race because I didn't do a whole lot of training. I decided to get back into running. Never in all my fitness laden life have I enjoyed running. However, I have come to learn how vital of a role running could play in the life of an inner city kid. Without the space to simply play, running can be a great supplement for people of all ages. All you need is a sidewalk! (Or grass, or dirt, or a multi-purpose room floor).





In an effort to increase my cardiovascular endurance (and not nearly keel over half way through the next Maury race), my partner and I decided to start a simple "Couch to 5K" running program. Currently on week four, I feel like the program is accessible to just about everyone, especially people who have never run before or happen to hate running. It's a great program to do with your kids as well because the bouts of running start off short (60 seconds) with walking breaks in between.

Over nine weeks the workouts become progressively harder, as they slowly ease you into running. This means that your body can get used to the constant impact on your joints as your feet hit the ground. Many people are instantly turned away from running because of the impact factor. However, impact can be a great thing in that it aids in the prevention of osteoporosis. Ever wonder why the astronauts have to go through intensive physical therapy when they return from the space station? Without the pushing and pulling of muscles on our bones, our bodies start to break down and fall apart.

Check it out!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The best part about the program is that each session takes between 20-30 minutes which happens to be the amount of moderate to vigorous physical activity an adult is supposed to get each day anyways. It's quick and easy and you will be happy with the progress you can make in only nine weeks.

Here's to health in the hot, HOT sun!

P.S. Run in the morning or evening and hydrate well. Try to stay out of the heat!








No comments:

Post a Comment